Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7
Anxiety is the root of depression (Proverbs 12:25). Worries and cares tend to weight us down and cause anxiety to settle in. There is no trust that can be developed between you and God if you are carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders. He tells us in Matthew that His burden is easy and His yoke is light (Matthew 11:30). We also see in (Mark 4:19) that the cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches will choke the word of God which establishes our faith (Faith comes by hearing and by hearing the word of God - Romans 10:17. So here are 5 steps outlined in Philippians 4 to help us to walk in God's peace.
- Prayer is communication with God about our needs and desires. It puts us in a posture of humility knowing that we need His help and without Him we can do nothing.
- Thankfulness is an attitude of the heart. When we are ungrateful it makes it hard for anyone to really want to help. Our posture with God really matters. If he performed a thousand other miracles in your life, you may be only looking at the one that hasn't been fulfilled. There is always something to be grateful for.
- Dwell on the good things
- Philippians 4:8 tells us to dwell on what is good. Sure maybe you have a lot of things that aren't going your way or maybe it's a relationship. If all you can see is the bad in the person, nothing good will come of it.
- Proverbs 17:22 tells us "A merry heart is good medicine whereas a broken spirit is as dry bones. In order to have a merry heart, it really matters what you dwell on. It is easy to dwell on the good when things are going well, but how are you when things aren't going so well. That is where we truly see where our heart is. Do we really trust God in our lives?
- Luke 6:45 tells us " A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks. God desires that we have a pure heart. Trials are a way to show us the real attitude of our hearts and minds. It is where we can choose to believe in God and His way or remain in our way.
- Surrender it
- We really aren't in control of our lives. Truly God is in control. He can choose to bless whomever He chooses to bless and provide however He chooses to provide. I have found that if I give it to God and surrender it, the prayer will get answered or if it doesn't I will be content no matter what.
- Accept His will
- 1 Thessalonians 5:18 tells us to give thanks in all things because this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. God is the potter, we are the clay. He will fashion us according to His will. Once you can accept that God knows what is best in your life and that it will work for good, then you will have great contentment and the peace of God will flood in.