God who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds known. Hebrews 1:1-2
Those who are seeking God are always looking for some supernatural way for God to speak to us. The tendency is to over think and complicate it. First and foremost today, God is speaking to us through His Son. So what does that mean?
- Jesus is the way to the Father (John 14:6)
- He is the exact representation of God (Hebrews 1:3), which is his character and nature.
- Jesus is God’s plan of salvation for our lives. He is the appointed one to fulfill making us right with God because of the price he paid for our sins on the cross (Romans 5:8).
- Jesus is the testimony of God and certifies that God is true (John 3:33)
- Jesus’ ministry upheld the power of God’s Word (Hebrews 1:3)
Jesus is the pathway to have a personal relationship with the Father to hear what He is speaking to us. He died so that He could give us another to be with us forever, the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is part of the Godhead and is there to teach us the things of God and what He is speaking (John 14:26).
The hardest part about hearing from God is discerning His voice. Sometimes we have an expectation that God will speak to us in some way or we expect for Him to speak to us as He did in the past or maybe to we expect Him to speak to us as He is to others. But that may not be the case. To hear from God simply comes by the following:
- God speaks to us through His Son and what He did for us. Jesus reconciles us back to the Father so that we can come in the throne of grace with boldness. We know that He did this out of His great love for us.
- God speaks to us through the Holy Spirit through unctions, promptings, dreams and through His word.
- God speaks to us through His Word. His word is a lamp unto our feet and a light unto our path. The word provides us with comfort, wisdom, God’s plan and areas where we are not truly living the way God wants us to.
- God speaks to us through other believers.
- God speaks to us through our prayer time. Sometimes this requires that we spend time in silence as well to hear what He has to say. It’s that still small impression or voice.
As I was seeking God more through wanting to gain understanding about how God speaks to us through His Son, I found that it came simply as I was in church that following Sunday. The pastor said, please put your hands out to receive and prayed a simple prayer, Heavenly Father speak to us through your Son today. It’s that simple. My prayer is that we will hear God speaking to us through His Son Jesus today.